The Difference between experience and 'an' experience from Dewey's perspective

 


The Difference between experience and 'an' experience from Dewey's perspective

We have ordinary experiences every day as we are living our lives. We are continually living and experiencing life. From reading about Dewey's perspective, to me 'an' experience is more complete and memorable. 
There are pictures that I look at and remember where, when and why I was there then there are core memories that I just remember periodically based on the experience I had. I feel like those excerpts from life, school and work that are memorable were more of 'an' experience where I was more fully immersed into it. 
I think what Dewey means by 'an' experience is how students create and become involved while participating where general experience is just the mundane everyday. 

I also thought of a time when I was in high school. We had drama class. My group had to take a well-known song and come up with a short play that was meaningful and sent a message. Our teacher could have had us just write our ideas or do them just with our group. Instead we prepared this and performed in front of the whole class- thus making it more of 'an' experience that so many years later I still remember vividly. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of New Literacies in and era of Participatory Culture

Role of Teachers in an era of digital learning