Clark vs. Kozma

 

CLARK VS. KOZMA

Some say the world will end in fire
Some say in ice
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire
But if I had to perish twice
I think I'd know enough of fate
To say that for destruction
Ice is also great
And would suffice

For some reason as I have been reading, and pondering the Clark vs. Kozma debate on whether or not media will influence learning, this Robert Frost poem came to mind. Upon reading the titles of the assignment I immediately thought I would side with Kozma. The reason why the poem comes to mind is because after reading Clark's argument, I do understand some of his point -- especially about how the delivery of the instruction is what is important. He insists that if learning occurs as a result of exposure to any media then the learning is caused by the instructional method embedded in the media presentation. 

While this has merit, as the instructional method is of utmost importance, I agree with Kozma that learning is an active, constructive, cognitive and social process by which the leaner strategically manages available cognitive, physical and social resources to create new knowledge by interacting with information in the environment and integrating it with information already store in memory. 

While researching I came across this YouTube video that sums up the debate nicely 
I would have to agree with Kozma that media has drastically increased the ways we can interact with each other socially thus influencing learning tasks and situations. 

As a preschool teacher, my media use in minimal. The best use of technology for my class currently is the parent communication portion. Due to an app, I am able to instantly communicate with the parents of the children in my class. I am able to quickly take photos for documentation and send out a weekly newsletter. This technology has made parent teacher conferences significantly more streamlined and manageable to me as a teacher.

I also made a small slideshow to show my position on this topic:










Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! I love the slideshow you put together! I had a slightly different viewpoint falling on Clarks side of the debate. While reading it I felt that he was more on the side that it didn't matter what kind of media was used, it was the the teachers who made the impact based on what they were presenting and incorporating into the lesson. But, I can see your side as well especially when you bring in the specific app for communication with parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with siding with Kozma! I also like your example of the app to communicate with parents. I hadn't thought of this type of media and I like the perspective!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of New Literacies in and era of Participatory Culture

Role of Teachers in an era of digital learning

The Difference between experience and 'an' experience from Dewey's perspective